Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Where I stand

It's a nice night.  The stars are out, and I can see em clearly where I am.  The air from the storm is fresh and I'm getting plenty of it up on this roof.  And yet here I am, huddled with a laptop.  What does that say about me?

Well, let me tell you what's lying next to me, sheathed in its scabbard- the sword.  Reforged.  I dropped by Nick's today to pick it up...No clue where he is, obviously, and I didn't see that "Ellen" chick either.  But that's not important.

When I had it in my hands at last, I felt...odd.  This thing is just a weapon, but it gave me a strange sense of relief.  Like I finally had something I could really fight with.

Zero...Whether you were good or evil doesn't really matter.  You wanted the same thing we all did- to be free from that bastard.  And you died fighting for what you believed in.  I hope you can rest in peace, cause I'm gonna do my best to finish what you started.  (no, not the crazy bone fetish, the killing Slenderman!  geez)

So.  Here I am.  June Reynolds, AKA Konaa.  18 years old.  Orphaned by humanity's greatest and possibly oldest enemy.  Desperately searching for a way to kill that enemy, and if that fails, to protect everyone I can from him.  Heavy stuff.  To think I wanted to be a writer.

The weird thing is the thought that there are people out there who would miss me if I were gone.  That's...fairly new to me.  I guess I should tell you guys a bit about myself for the first real time, huh?

Growing up...I hated people.  I was always smarter than they were.  Why would I want to hang out with a bunch of guys who talk about the stupidest stuff, and who like running around outside yelling and tackling each other?  Best to keep away from them.  Who needs anyone other than yourself?

...So I thought.  Charming kid, wasn't I?  For the most part, people didn't really like me either.  Not only was I anti-social and rude, my sense of sarcasm was not at all absent in my earlier years.  This did not tend to endear me to people.

I'd like to note that this arrogant kid is hardly a specter of the past.  Look at my first few entries on this very blog.  Even then, convinced as I was that I was as good as dead, I still held this ridiculous notion that I was way smarter than anyone else who was being stalked.  I looked down on people.  Thought they weren't worth my time.  Even my parents, sometimes.

Hurts when you don't realize how much you value something until you've lost it, eh?

And fast forward three or so months.  Every experience I've had has brought me closer to those I've befriended.  It's only now that I know how fragile our lives are that I can appreciate them all the better.  And when I take what I went through, and know that others have as well...I feel like I understand other people for the first time.

In a twisted way, encountering the Slender Man has made me a better person.  Who would have guessed?

The road ahead of me is a dark one.  No denying that.  A famous sword doesn't make that any easier.  In addition, I have to protect those important to me at all costs...and do my best to save those who are already under his thrall.  Some (read:most) would say that's impossible.

But here I am.  And here I stand.  I'll make you prove it's impossible, if you can.

7 comments:

  1. ... Konaa-
    No, June. It fits. In Roman mythology Juno was the wife of Jupiter and the queen of the heavens. Ruling over everything that's good.

    I think you could do that, kid.

    But I really, really need to find someone named July. Obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you all the best, Konaa. I'm glad that what you've gone through hasn't destroyed you. In a way, I look up to you for trying to continue the fight that was left unfinished. If anyone could kill him, you could. Good luck.

    May your days be many and your troubles few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey up until this whole thing started I was wandering around cities, homeless and wasting away.

    Now I'm healthy again, I have friends, people I love dearly, and you.

    You're so brave, Konaa... I wish I could help you more.

    Stay strong, love.

    Take care of yourself. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Konaa...
    You've helped me a lot too, kid. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I imagined you a couple of years older, jeje.

    Experience is the best of all treasures. By now you are a truly rich man.

    I used to have the dream of sparring with the previous owner of that sword. Who knows, maybe the dream is still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spencer, ignoring for the fact that you just reminded me yet again why I prefer to go by Konaa, there is something seriously wrong with you if you're comparing me to a deity. I'm not some paragon of justice and good or whatever. I'm just a normal kid.

    Granted, I've been through more than most. But I know better than anybody that I'm no hero. Just another fighter, another victim. One who was lucky enough to survive this long.

    If anyone out there thinks I'm some kind of savior or whatever, you'd best keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if not a savior... then a brother? :D

    ReplyDelete