Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Finally talked to Dad

Today was a good time to do it.  Mom was out on an errand.  I called Dad into the living room and told him I wanted to talk to him about something.  Before I could ask anything, he told me that he knew what this was about.  I stayed quiet, and let him explain.

Thirty years ago, he was in high school.  His mother had fallen ill, his father had passed on a year earlier.  He was holding down a job, and still didn't have the money to pay for the hospital bills.  He was about to drop out of school, when guess who showed up.

My Dad started working for him, in exchange for the money he needed.  He didn't know how Slender Man had the money, and he didn't want to know.  Can't really blame him.  This went on for two years.  He started to enjoy his new job.  There was a thrill in working for a monster, it seems.  Sometimes he just stole things, other times he stalked people, delivering messages about how Slendy was coming for them.

Eventually my grandma got out of the hospital.  But he didn't stop.  He kept going, because he was now a willing servant of Slender Man.  But, not all good things can last, sadly.  It all came to a head when he was ordered to kill someone.

Now, my Dad's a pacifist, through and through.  He was, even then.  One thing I think I've inherited is the lack of any stomach for killing.  He refused, and ran.  He claimed his debt was paid and he didn't owe Slender Man anything.  He moved out of New York and into Massachusetts.  There he met my Mom, and you know the rest.

So...Slender Man's after me because he still thinks my Dad owes him.  The only real question is, does he want something from me or him?  Does he want my Dad to start working for him again, or is he thoroughly interested in me now?  Who knows.  Not even the people closest to him can figure him out, after all.

It's nice to have someone I can talk to about this, in person.  Even better that it's someone close to me.  He promised we'd do something about this, but he was silent as to what. 

I don't blame him.  Do any of us have a clue what we're gonna do about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment