Friday, September 9, 2011

Nessa

Yesterday, Nessa made a post.  Containing a drawing of Rhodes.  Rhodes saw it, and came to hunt her down.  I started back towards the safe house at around the same time.  I was only a few hours away...

But it didn't turn out that simple.

I was in a nervous, impatient, panicked state.  After I got on my train I noticed five minutes later that we were behind schedule.  I opened the door and walked out- there was a crowd of people near the front.  Dragging a body out of the driver's car.

They were talking about insane delays, so I had to find another way.  But when I headed for the bus stop, Rise stood in my path.  I told her what was going on, she said she knew.  And that she couldn't let me get to Nessa.

I was stunned.  Rise, working for Rhodes?  But no, she denied it.  She reminded me that she only serves herself.  So why, then?  Why didn't she want me to stop him?  Here's what she said.

"As you know, your resistance to His influence is incredible.  You not only hid yourself from His sight for months, you completely shook Him off when He tried to control you.  I've noticed this, and tried my best to understand it.  And from what I can understand, you only resist Him when it is to save yourself.  That is what allows you to escape Him- your drive and self-preservation instinct.  This cannot happen so long as you're tied up in protecting someone else.  So I will ensure that factor is removed."

I starting shouting at her.  "So that's why you went after Fiona, too!?  Fuck you!  I don't want to save myself!  What the hell is the point of escaping from him if I can't save my friends!?"

"I'm making this choice for you."

That was when I lost it and charged her.  Knifed her arm and kicked her aside.  But I missed the bus...I had to wait for the next one.  And by the time I got to the safe house.

The door was unlocked and unbolted.  Nessa was gone.  Her phone and my laptop were still there.

There was a post written on it.

She was a girl who'd lost everything to this.  Like me.  When we met, we found hope in each other.  And she confided in me.  And I swore to protect everyone I could, including her.  She was hopeless without someone to help her...I wanted to save her, to keep her from falling further into despair.  And she relied on me to do that.

That was her mistake.  Relying on me.  No one should ever rely on me.  I'm a failure- a joke.  I couldn't even save someone that close to me.  Instead, she's dead...or worse.  I don't know.

Rhodes.  This is a message to you.  You may think you're a genius, and that I'll play into your hand no matter what I do.  And you may be right.  But I won't hesitate any longer.

You aren't human.  Whatever you are, it's not sane and rational.  You only live for the suffering of others.  Misery feeds you.  I've seen it.  You aren't even capable of feeling anything remotely related to humanity.  I'll make you pay for what you've done.

You can run, you can hide, you can fight, scheme, plot, kill, torture, maim, it won't matter.  I'll find you.  I won't rest until you've paid your dues for all the pain you've caused- and I'm betting that's no small amount.  I might have balked at this before..But not any longer.

Rhodes, I WILL kill you.

13 comments:

  1. ... I think this is the best conclusion you can come to under the circumstances, kid.

    And for what it's worth... I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dumbass. People can't depend on you because you don't think for more than 5 minutes about ANYTHING. You could have stashed Nessa with Forgemaster and Green Man to avoid all this, BUT YOU WERE TOO LAZY TO THINK IT THROUGH.

    No wonder "Nick's" notes are so disparaging. If you're too lazy to actually think past the next twenty four hours, you'll lose every time. If you actually consider what the other guy might do, and what you need to do to counter them...surprise, you might just survive.

    To quote what he had written down, "He could be dangerous. But he never thinks about what he has to do, making him only a danger to himself and those he cares about. He'll be dead inside a year at this rate."

    So THINK. Use all the resources at your disposal. Make contacts. Stop being such a whiny bitch and figure out how to win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Konaa... I... I'm not sure what to say but... So I'll jut say this.

    I love you.

    Please stay safe. I'm always here to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll give it a week before either he or you are dead.

    Or both. Either way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god...

    I know how this feels. I understand that you hate me, but I just want you to know that you have all the sympathy in the world. If killing him will bring you peace...while it's a shame that you didn't when I first told you to, then doing so now will at the very least calm your rage.

    Stay hopeful. No body means there's hope. You've both disappeared before. In fact...a lot of people seem to have, myself included. Expect the worst, but hope for the best.

    Good luck.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Konaa. Be careful. Killing isn't as easy as it seems. I'm not saying don't do it. But I am saying be ready for it, as much as you can.

    I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what I don't get is why everyone feels they have to protect Nessa.

    Fizzbomb, Zero, you, Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  8. She was my friend. Isn't that reason enough?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ellen: Like Nick, you seem to have a bad habit of commenting about how you could have done everything we've done better.

    Forgemaster and Green Man did a GREAT job looking after her, yeah. Nevermind that she got picked up by Kari under their nose and STABBED. I didn't want to rely on them to look after her, and she wanted to come with me. And...judging from the timestamp on her post, I was only a half hour late. If Rise hadn't slowed me up..

    ...But you're right about one thing. I AM an idiot. I do rush into things without thinking. I'm trying my best to avoid that. Much as I hate the thought of becoming anything like the hateful little kid I was, he had a much better mindset for this than I did.

    We'll just have to see if we can mix recklessness with meticulous planning then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How is he going to pay his due if he is death? One life can't be equally to other but actions.

    I will be praying for the best to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They weren't there when she'd been taken. They'd be kidnapped by armed men? For all the dangers your faceless foe embodies, he doesn't have the same effect that a group of armed men does. Why do you think IT employs Proxies?

    My point is not that any one thing could have saved Nessa. My POINT is that they were BACK in time to be a safe haven, and you blew it.

    Either way, when you aren't thinking on your feet, you have time to think and actually make a plan. Stop making excuses, stop talking out your ass with your pride, and actually start using the brains that you were born with to keep this from happening again. You wouldn't last five minutes against heaven or hell with this kind of attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're so much of a bitch, I can't help but feel that you actually care.

    ReplyDelete