Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Have fun storming the mansion

Picture the scene.  Colorado, full of mountains and trees.  We're focusing on one mountain particular, not too far from a nearby town.  And some ways up that mountain is an old mansion.  They say it's haunted, the ghosts of an unjustly slain family torment whoever stays within.

Granted, I didn't really care about that shit.  What lived in there was worse than any ghost.

I spent a full day staking the place out.  I couldn't get too close- Who knows what'd he do if he saw me hanging around?  From what I could see, it was a big place.  Three floors, kinda run down, decrepit.  Paint flaking off the walls, couple broken windows, etc.  More importantly, a front door and two side doors.  No back door.  It was up to me to make that one.

Nick suggested getting the police.  I checked out the local police station- small.  They wouldn't be too much help.  I was on my own for this one.  Like that was new to me.

I had a lot to think about.  How do I outsmart Rhodes?  He's faster, more clever, and has had a lot of time to prepare for me.  What's the answer?  An even more complicated scheme, weaving my own web around his?  I spent a lot of the past few days trying to think of a plan, incorporate what plan his might be...

Then I realized I'm an idiot.  And I should act like one.  Do the unexpected.  Rhodes wouldn't expect me coming in through the back.  Who would?  There's a solid wall.  It's just common sense you couldn't go through there.

Right.  Fuck common sense, you guys hear me?  We're dealing with the fucking Slender Man.  Fuck common sense square up the ass with a ten foot long halberd.

THAT colorful train of thought led to a construction contractor's warehouse, a knocked out employee, and a stolen piece of hardware.  Yeah, pretty illegal ain't it.  They've almost certainly retrieved it by now, though, so no harm done.  At least to them.

It's early in the morning, the sun is just rising over the hills.  The birds are singing, the old mansion proudly welcomes the sunlight...

And a tree in the lawn bursts into flames, and falls over.  Lots of noise, light, and smoke.  The perfect distraction.  I start the bulldozer and accelerate straight down the hill.  That old wall never had a chance, and I was in the foyer before I knew it.  I could hear someone yelling outside, but I didn't care.  I jumped out and ran upstairs.  Fancy-ass staircase, like everything else.  I heard typing.  Kicking open a door I see a scrawny little guy typing desperately at a computer.  Presumably this hacker, Shift.

Hacker he may be, fighter he is not.  I drew my gun on him and yelled at him to spill the beans.  He tried to lie and say there'd never been a prisoner.  It was easily enough to see through that lie, and I gave him a whack on the head for his trouble.

That was when he told me the truth.  Nessa had been here.  And she's dead now.  That freak..he raped her.  And burnt her body.  Shift said he...kept the ashes in an urn in his bedroom on the third floor.  Even he sounded disgusted talking about it.

More on...how I feel about that some other time.  I tried to get more out of him, like on who else he has helping him, but that question was unfortunately answered as a huge burly hand grabbed me from behind and slammed me into the doorframe.  This guy was HUGE.  I mean, he looked about six and a half feet, and he was wide and muscled as all hell.  He threw me against the staircase's railing.  Luckily and unluckily for me, it didn't break.  But it did hurt like fuck.  I tried to grab my gun but he kicked it aside.

I stabbed his foot and heard him growl- yeah, GROWL- with pain.  I took off running towards the corner, but suddenly a pale blue outline of a person appeared out of the wall next to me.  Then it formed into Shift.  I think he's like Hylo somehow- he can phase through solid matter.  I ran straight into him and stumbled back, right into the big guy's grasp.  This time I got slammed against the far wall.  Those bruises are gonna hurt for a while.

He pulled me back to do it again.  I looked up and saw one of those fancy lamps, like, with the squiggly metal bases, hanging out of the wall.  I kicked off of the burly guy and wrapped my legs around it, and twisted to avoid getting smashed a second time.  That surprised him enough to get him to lessen his grip, so reached up, grabbed the lightbulb out of the lamp, and smashed it into his face.  Not that it did much, but it gave me another second.

I jumped down, and ran past him, scooping up my gun (making sure to clock Shift on my way over!).  I turned around and shoot the big guy in the arm and shoulder.  He fell over, swearing in pain.  I turned to Shift, but he was already gone through the wall.  Pointing the gun back at the big guy, I asked him where Rhodes was.

Naturally, he pointed up.

Up the stairs.  At the grand bedroom I paused and reloaded before kicking the door down.  Empty.  Grand bed, several photos of himself, and...a red urn.  With that drawing of him she did besides it.  I...I'll admit, I spend about ten seconds just staring at it.  I managed to get that under control, though.

For his room, it was pretty bare bones.  Guess he kept the evil plans and shit somewhere else.  Or got rid of it before I showed up.  I went through his stuff and there was nothing.

Back out into the hallway, and I almost lost my life right then and there.  I just barely avoided the bullet that came at me from the side.  And that laugh.

"Oooh!  Close one, close one!  Come on, to the roof!  That's the best way to have a final climactic battle!  Oh, this is EXCITING, June, you have just no idea!"

I heard him scrambling up some more stairs.  Looking around the corner, I saw another staircase leading up into the sunlight.  As I ran forward, I threw a knife through the opening.  Good thing I did, too.  It was like a glass wall shattering, only the glass vanished the moment it hit the ground.  Who knows what that thing would have done.

Running up onto the roof, I immediately rolled forward to avoid the next shot- but it never came.  I looked up, at the figure silhouetted in the sunrise.  He laughed again.

"Come on, all this way for an anticlimax with guns?  That isn't how a final battle works at all, Konaa!  We fight man to man.  Come on, how does it sound?  Great, right?"

I didn't even bother dignifying this with a response and emptied my clip at him.  To no avail.  Every last bullet fell short of him in midair and hit the ground.  His laughter grew deranged.  Like, even for him.

"So sorry, but bullets won't work on this rooftop.  Mine too, as it happens.  You see, that wall you broke was the entrance to this Territory."

I can take a hint, I didn't try with the gun again.  Putting it back in the holster, I drew a couple knives instead and walked forward, the two of us circling each other.

"A Territory is normal space, twisted by the one who calls it, in this case, yours truly.  It's the sort of thing those in my profession can employ, and it's useful for keeping people trapped.  I set a Rule.  In this case...The Rule is rather potent, since I'm quite proficient in them.  The Rule is...No anticlimactic finish to this battle.  We fight it out, and to the winner goes the spoils!  Which...in this case is a mansion with very lowered property values.  A bulldozer?  Really?  Please tell me you don't want to be Cifer when you grow up."

I'd had enough of his smug face.  "Are you quite done babbling?  If we have to gut each other, so be it.  I just want you to die, so do us all a favor and get with the program!"

With that, we charged each other.  Lots of slashing, lots of hacking.  He was...inhumanly fast.  Before long I'd received several gashes without even dealing one.  Until I remembered that little note.  Do the unexpected.  I dropped my knives.  He blinked, and I sliced him across the chest with Zerosword in that instant.  Rhodes managed to jump back, though, so I didn't have my split psychopath.  That was a pretty nasty cut, though.  He looked shocked, and in pain.  And then...he laughed again.

It was sick.  It made me feel sick just hearing that noise.  There was nothing sane behind it.  It was a laugh that only the most twisted sense of humor could bring out.  "That's it that's it that's it!  Hurt me more.  You can actually hurt me!  This is great.  Fantastic!  I haven't felt pain in such a long time...I forgot how great it is!  Aaah...it's nothing to the great suffering I put poor dear Nessy through though."

I paused in spite of me.  I wanted to hear what he had to say.

His smile widened.  "Oh yeah, I took her in that way, alright.   I don't usually do that, but I tailor the torture to the victim, y'dig?  She was so fragile, so easily broken...psychologically and physically.  The most fun I've had in a looooong time.  Her crying face was like a work of art.  The sight of someone crushed beyond hope is truly beautiful!  And I have YOU to thank for it!"

I sputtered.  "Me!?  You're the monster who-"

"Ap ap ap.  You had your hand in this.  If you hadn't drawn her back into the community, I'd've never found her.  And never taken her, certainly, if she hadn't made that drawing, and you hadn't foolishly assumed she was safe.  So thanks for that, June!  Thanks a-"

I cut his arm off.  He staggered backwards, face white as a ghost.  Then...I got a horrible confirmation about his status as nonhuman.

Scaley, thick ropes, shot out of his wound.  They wrapped around themselves, and formed...into a snake.  He stood there, covered in blood, with a fucking snake with its own head for an arm.  I could only stare.  And I vocally wondered just what the hell he was.

"Oh, I'm still quite human.  Just because I happen to have a little friend in here with me doesn't change that!  Don't discriminate now."  And with that, he lunged.  The snake struck out of its own free will and he stabbed in a different direction.  I chose to roll again, slashing at his side as I got up, catching him.  I got a view of inside his body- more snakes.  Blood, organs, and more of those snakey ropes.  He began to laugh, again.

"This is PURE GOLD!  The Hero finds out, to his horror, the Evil Lord is more monster than man!  But he fights on regardless, to avenge the damsel who died valiantly!  What a story!  This cracks me up!  And yeah, you heard me.  Hero."

I had scowled at that mention of that word.  His eyes narrowed.  He smelled blood, metaphorically.  I'm sure literally he had plenty of blood to smell.

"Yeah, that's right...Whine about how no one should rely on you all you want.  Get as mad about being called a hero, about being compared to Juno, to something akin to a savior- it doesn't change the fact that you want to be one.  You want to save everyone!  That way you can convince yourself your parents didn't die in vain.  That way it can be worth it!"

I was shivering.  I should have kept attacking, but...he was getting to me.

"Cause you think you CAN be!  You always think, don't they treat me too much like a kid?  Haven't I saved people before?  I deserve respect!"  He stepped forward.

"Well Juney boy.  Here we are.  Come on.  Kill me.  Be the big hero.  Save the world, June!  Save the WORLD!"  He spread his arms (well, arm and snake) wide.  "Stab!  Right in the heart!  No way I could survive that, right!?  Make it worth it, boy!  MAKE IT WORTH IT!"

The sword dropped from my hand.  I felt tears running down my face.  It was too much.  He was right.  I really am a glory hound, no matter how much I try to deny it.  Do I really want to help people for the sake of it, or do I want to be seen as The Hero, that one missing part of Core Theory, the one who dies to save the world from the Slender Man?  He laughed again.

"Just as I thought.  You really don't have the guts.  Aaah well, if you'd tried it I would have gutted you anyway.  You really don't have the brains to deal with me, kid.  Always charging forward, never noticing the traps I set...Well, you did pretty well just now, but it's mainly cause you pussied out.  Oh well...We can't all be heroes, you know?" He reached up and started brushing hair out of his face.

And I looked up...and grinned.  "If you ask me, the real Hero...has already gone to ground."

He blinked.  "What?"

And I ran forward, and gave him a ramming blow with my shoulder.  Over the edge he went.  I looked over, saw him hit the ground, roll down the hill...and over the mountain edge.  It's...a long way down.  I could see the body, barely.  It wasn't moving.

I heard police sirens.  I gathered up my stuff and got out of the house, which was devoid of people, now.  Before I left, I smashed Nessa's vase.  I didn't...want what was left of her to be a memory of what he did to her.

And I made good my escape.  On the way down, I checked the body.  It had no pulse.  He wasn't breathing.  The snakes were gone.  It was...kind of disgusting.  Let's just say that between that fall and my cuts, he wasn't exactly winning the Miss Proxy Pageant anymore.

He's dead.  She's dead.  I'm not.

Not sure how to feel.  What about you guys?

53 comments:

  1. I feel like I fucking love you more than anything else in the world and I feel like jumping a shark through a flaming hoop while singing show tunes I'm so fucking happy.

    I feel like sloppy 80's making out with you because I'm so happy you're alive and because you deserve it.

    You're a crazy brave man but I love you. So much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, a relative wrote that using my account..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. Glad you didn't let the slick bastard twist you around with his words, those seemed to be his favorite weapon. My only concern is that he may not be dead enough, especially with that trick he pulled with the snake arm. If he comes back don't let shock and surprise get you killed.

    The post is also lending credence to a thought I've had for a while now. I think core theory has it's flaws. Among other things I think it's roles too restrictive and find it odd that others seem to feel qualified to hand roles out and thus locking others into a role rather than letting people find their own role with a more comfortable fit. I've noticed, especially with you that Narrative Laws seem to kick in more efficiently sometimes than the laws of physics. I would suggest trying to intentionally invoke tropes and see if it aids your success. Start with something small and unlikely to get someone killed. Although if someone you can trust offers you Training From Hell . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sir, you are an utter nutcase.

    Seriously, plowing through a goddamn wall?

    Geeze...

    I'm glad you're alright Konaa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much as I hate to admit it, Rhodes is smart. Smarter then that... He is still alive. I know it.
    Hmm. Idea. Find his body and BURN it. Just to be sure. Doubt it will help, but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Konaa

    konaa konnaaa we have both lost so much this past week but we both have found our revenge, and because of us the world may be a bit brighter tomorrow I only regret you couldnt save her either.

    I do not pledge to know if this is right or not but it is done and no one could fault us. That is what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry about Nessa.
    Not sure that killing him was the right move, but at least he can't hurt anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...be safe, please... don't let your guard down. the others are still out there at least, you know.

    don't be afraid to try to be a hero, June. there is always, always someone who needs strength. don't be ashamed to provide it if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Hylo: Can we have our makeouts be neat, please? >>

    @Proxiehunter: If you say so...I'm not sure about him coming back. I mean, the snakes were gone. Like they vanished when he died. Whatever he had inside him could have another trick up its sleeve, I guess.

    @Lucas: Yeah, but I'm YOUR nutcase. :P

    @Star: You're probably right. I didn't have the means to burn it on me...If I dare to get anywhere near that mansion again I'll doublecheck.

    @Rach: Yeah...I dunno. I can't help but feel a bit of relief at the thought that he'll never harm anyone again. Somehow feeling guilt for killing that snake is hard. Thank you for your words.

    @Jessie: Thanks. Stay safe, girl.

    @Anon: Thank you, I guess...Whoever you are?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not bad. Not bad at all. And you need to do it like that EVERY Time. You identified all the resources at your disposal, made use of every resource you could find, and even identified that moving the bastard OFF the rooftop might pop his damn balloon.

    Now you're cooking with gas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Burning the corpse means lugging an accelerant with you. Even if you know you're going to have to kill a masked freak who needs the extra baggage or explaining to the cops why you're carrying all that gasoline. Instead I recommend what I do when one of my kills displayed any abnormal abilities - cut off the head. For good measure toss it away from the corpse just in case. You've even got a *sword* to do it with, I have to make do with my knife.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is assuming the impact left his head attached to his body.

    It did not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ... ...

    Beware, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword."

    Dont let it get into your head, ok? Human's are strong and delicate in state, so that we can choose to end or create life. Never forget what really implies killing someone else, since you may end like the one who searched for glory, and found loneliness and his death.

    -With love, your merciful sister.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...?
    The anons are just popping all over, aren't they?
    I'm glad you got your revenge, kid, really, I am.
    Just makes sure that the corpses don't pile up on you.

    You're a lot of things, June.

    A blood knight is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know damn well, you two. If I can help it...I'll kill as few as I must.

    I have the perfect reminder of what happens when you go too far down that slope, sheathed over my back.

    And Konaa will do, Spencer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. how can you reject the name your late parents gave you? don't be a child. this is pointless rebellion. accept who you are.

    for of all the things in this world, your name is perhaps your truest possession.

    honor thy father and mother

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fuck, even I must say well done, you little bitch.

    Rhodes is dead, how wonderful! The only way I could be more pleased about this is if it was I who killed him. Of course, Traitorstar could be right, so I might still have a chance. Ah, such happy thoughts.

    Stay frosty, ma peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Anon: Who the hell do you think you are, lecturing me on what name I can and can't go by?

    Names are just names. They're arbitrary distinctions. While a name can have meaning, ultimately another name would have sufficed just as well for the purpose of identifying them.

    In short, shut up. I don't need you preaching at me. I prefer Konaa because June is a stupid name. Everyone has the right to go by their own name, one of their choosing. Welcome to the 21st century, and the internet for that matter.

    @Ridley: ...You're still around? Huh. Thought I heard a fly buzzing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. no, June. who do you think you are?

    your name is special because your parents gave it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Right, it's what I write down and who I am, legally.

    I happen to prefer another name, though. There's nothing deep and complex here.

    I honor my parents by remembering them as good people who died due to my mistake.

    And quit callin' me that already.

    ReplyDelete
  22. you. are. missing. the. point.

    they didn't name you June just to be clever or funny. they chose it for a reason.

    we would understand if they called you... Moonshine or something. but this is ridiculous. you're just being flippant.

    ReplyDelete
  23. it isn't proper to honor someone's memory with shame

    ReplyDelete
  24. Of all the things to get on my case...You chose the name I go by.

    Not the fact that I stole a bulldozer, drove it through a guy's house, and pushed him off the roof.

    Priorities, man.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @second Anon, seriously get some names: ...maybe not. But it's hard not to sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anon, who the fuck are you to tell him how to remember his parents? Back the fuck off.

    ReplyDelete
  27. you are allowed more license for dealing with the wicked.

    in matters of the self, ...that is much different.

    "know thyself" as it is said.

    ReplyDelete
  28. so Elaine would disagree with the concept that honor and shame are polar opposites?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Okay, off my blog. Nobody talks to my friends like that.

    As for you, selfly mcselferson, I'll work out my issues without help from you, thanks.

    And it won't end up relying on what I CALL MYSELF.

    ReplyDelete
  30. we seem to remember that zero was very particular about what others called him as well...

    do you have a fetish for symbols of shame? the sword, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  31. ... Konaa has made himself who he is, and he has chosen a name for himself. That's not shame, that's just life. Sometimes the old names don't fit anymore. That's not fucking dishonoring them or whatever the fuck you're on about. You have no right to tell him how to deal with himself and his parents' memory.
    Fuck off.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You seem to have a fetish for BEING AN ASSHOLE, anon.

    If you don't mind, I have get back to work saving your worthless ass along with humanity in general. But I'll call if I want to continue talking about fetishes and shame and names. They were all so very relevant.

    Also, you're an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  33. ...one day a hero, one day a defiant child

    make up your mind

    ReplyDelete
  34. ... Anon, take your smug, self righteous attitude and shove it up your ass. Right next to that stick that you have planted in there.
    Then do me a favor and waddle away, because I'm really in the mood to tear into something and you're just asking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am seeing two children right now. One of them at the very least has the guts to use a name. Begone Anonymous. You are as annoying as Konaa with none of the amusing qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  36. ...The sad thing is, that was a pretty big compliment, coming from you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. not disputing your right to claim a webhandle.

    but being practically allergic to your real name?

    ...acceptable to a point. never liked self's name either.

    sorry for quarreling, did not mean to upset

    you'll do as you please

    ReplyDelete
  38. Look. I accept that you were trying to help, in your own...very weird, roundabout way. But don't snap at my friends, alright?

    It's a simple matter of not liking my name. Nothing more.

    You're forgiven. Don't freak out again and we're cool.

    And yes, yes I will.

    ReplyDelete
  39. merely questioning the logistics

    not the person

    ideas the only territory this one challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anon, you may suggest and even advice, but his decision is up to him.

    ReplyDelete
  41. OHAI GUYS, WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  42. Nice going. Would've worked better if we didn't know there's a whole team there.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Heh. Eheheh. Heheheh. HAHAHAHAHAHA! Just keep thinking that, you little shits. Whatever lets you sleep at night, y'know? I'd hate to take someone out of their comfort zone- you know me!

    The idea that Shift would have the balls to hack my account is...Well, amusing if you know him, trust me.

    ANYWAYS. Mr. Konaa, that was kind of mean. I don't mind saying it stung a bit to hit the rocks at that velocity. Which is why it took me an entire day to get a hold of myself. I'm most impressed.

    Next time, I won't go easy on you. For now, enjoy yourself. The game is only beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Rhodes. I knew you survived. But this is the single saddest thing I have read in a while.
    You Failure. You pathetic miserable failure of a Proxy. What in the name of God compelled you to reveal your return NOW of ALL TIMES. When everyone but a few individuals believed you to be DEAD. When you could have appeared later with some masterful scheme out of nowhere and DEVASTATE Konaa. It would have been a GLORIOUS return... But this? This is Sad. You are not worthy to be a Proxy. WHERE IS YOUR SENSE OF DRAMATIC TIMING. GOD. You are PATHETIC.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Dramatic...Timing?

    You are a JOKE. Seriously. This is not even funny. At all. It's (wait for it) A Really Bad Joke!

    See, even that one was better!

    Dramatic timing!? Are you even SERIOUS? This explains so much about you. Like how you're a goddamn failure. You've betrayed the Tall One for the sake of a woman that's already taken and decided to cast aside any semblance of power you could have obtained.

    Oh but if only you knew! If only you knew just how inadvertently you've made me laugh, you'd be well aware of how idiotic you look to me right now. As for what...I'll agree with your sense of dramatic tension here and say that it would simply RUIN the surprise!

    Go back to crying in the basement, Cifer. You're nothing but a broken, insignificant man, yapping out with all the force and threat of a small dog.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Says the man who was thrown from a building by the human equivalent of Scrappy Doo.
    Dramatic Timing is IMPORTANT Rhodes. One would think someone like you would know that. But I suppose not. So disappointing. Almost as disappointing as your "Really Bad Joke." My GOD man. Everyone has made that joke already.
    As for your statement on "power", well... Thrown off a building by Scrappy Doo.
    Also. Filthy Mind. I have no interest in Elaine like that you moron.

    ReplyDelete
  47. If you actually think that fight was me taking it seriously at all, you're even dumber than I thought. I specifically made it so that BULLETS wouldn't work. This was an amusing diversion, nothing more.

    Face it, Cifer, Konaa could have beaten YOU. I was so disappointed in him for adopting one of your idiotic tactics.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Riiiiight. "That Fight Didn't Count." Excuses, excuses.
    And don't make me laugh. Konaa would be lucky to be able to TOUCH me.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Boys, boys. Stop arguing on the internet and just go kill each other.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Guys, dont you ever thought in a duel? You know, no unnecessary loops, no unnecessary tricks, nor unnecessary wall destruction or property or psicological damages? Just a "Meet me with a weapon at this open place for 6:00pm, we should fix our differences now."

    I guess being theatrical is part of the job, but I think there is a limit for it..

    ReplyDelete
  51. The way I see it, Rhodes just can't handle that Konaa won on all counts.

    Incidentally Konaa, while I never advocate killing, I'll be the first to tell you that when you absolutely definitely have to make sure something is dead:

    1: Separate the head from the body.
    2: cover both in gasoline and burn them.
    3: Take the ashes from the head and bury them under a crossroads. It's a magic thing, don't question it.
    4: Take the ashes from the body, and pour them into a river or nearby sewer with running water. Doing this and step 3 will spread the particles far and wide and prevent them from EVER fully coming back together.

    While these steps are not foolproof, they WILL work on 99% of physical and astral entities.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete